Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Guilty.

Today, around 2:15 EST, twitter, facebook, and all other social media sites, along with many news sites, lit up with flabbergasted opinion based on the NOT GUILTY verdict read over Casey Anthony.

The shock and disgust is very tangible. This is a crime that took the life of a child. A baby girl of only 2. It's unfathomable. It's inhumaine. And then to be let off...it's unforgivable.

Or is it.

Don't get me wrong...what happened to this precious child is sick in every sense of the word. And absolutely deserves punishment. A life for a life, even.

But.

All that kept coming to my mind was the verse where Jesus is standing in a group of people who are ready to stone a woman to death because of her sin. In the culture she was in, her sin (adultery) was grounds for the death penalty, just as this sin (planning & murdering your own child) is grounds in ours. And instead of issuing what we would deem is justice, Jesus challenges her accusers and instructs,

"Let he who is without sin, throw the first stone". (John 8:7)

You may know what happened next...

"9 At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. 10 Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?”

11 “No one, sir,” she said.

“Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.” "

So, Jesus found her innocent? No. She was still very guilty. BUT. She was forgiven. And commanded to leave the life that got her in this predicament.

So, when I think about Casey Anthony today, I am brought to my knees. I pray that her heart will be softened and that a true healing will begin in her, so that she will choose to leave her old life of lies and sin. Will that bring beautiful little Caylee back? No. And that is a consequence that she will have to live with for the rest of her life.

But I can not throw a stone at her today. Although I have not murdered, I have lied. And I have been angry and rude. And I have cheated on tests. And I have sinned.

Sin is sin is sin, and ALL sin separates us from God. All sin, "big or small" deems us in need of a savior. One who will redeem us in front of the Father. One who is found WITHOUT sin. And there is only One who can do that. Who has done that. For me, and for Casey Anthony.

I see now, that as repulsed and appalled as I am by her sin..I must also be of my own. Romans 3:23...ALL have sinned and fallen short of God's glory. ALL. Even if you are a really really really reeeeeeally good person. You've fallen short.

But.

He has sent One to stand in your place. And THAT'S the good news today. You are forgiven.

So instead of condemning her today I challenge you to pray for her. To pray for a genuine work of God to move in her heart, in those secret times, where it's just her memories and thoughts and God Himself. Pray that she will take this second chance she's been given and use it wisely.

And pray the same for me.

And I'll pray the same for you.


Photobucket

4 comments:

The Yee's said...

Well written. You brought tears to my eyes... I'll be thinking a little differently now. Thanks!

Becca said...

Beautiful, thanks hun! It's good to remind ourselves why Jesus' actions are so applicable to our lives today, whether your Christian or not.

fionafae said...

Absolutely, lady ... I haven't been paying the news much attention so this is the first I'm hearing about Casey, actually, LOL ... but it's good to remind ourselves of the "ALL" part of that Romans verse!

Daisy Go said...

Thanks for writing this! I've refrained from writing anything about this topic because I know people would be furious with me for not wanting her in jail/dead. I just feel that no matter what, I'm in no place to judge and that I, too have sinned in my own ways.